8.31.2006

sad, but happy, but strange

"'Thirdly and finally', he said, 'I wish to make an ANNOUNCEMENT'. He spoke this last word so loudly and suddenly that everyone sat up who still could. 'I regret to announce that - though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you - this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!"
It's like breaking up with a boyfriend who you like a lot but just can't stay with. I know, logically, that I can move back to NYC whenever I want. I know that there will be other homes, other friends, other places to make mine. And I know that my hometown holds family and friends who will be so happy that I am back.

But it's hard to leave New York. There's this pull here, a current that is hard to escape and even harder to explain. And once you've invested the effort, the time, the money, the frustration - once you've become a True New Yorker, it is very hard to imagine going back.

Nevertheless. On Thursday morning I fly back to the city of my childhood in all it's glory.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

ktbuffy said...

Best of luck, Rian! I was *this* close to meeting you the other day at your reading with Lily Burana, but I didn't get a chance to make it. Another time, I'm sure. Best of luck, and keep blogging!

riain grey said...

Thank you, kt! I'm sorry i didn't get to meet you at In the Flesh. Another time, definately!